Canon Collins Trust in partnership with Tom Queba Memorial Fund is delighted to offer scholarships for Masters level study at South African universities. We will award two scholarships for social change per year within the following areas:
- Justice, which includes Law, Economics, Politics and the Environment
- Education: policy and practice
- Humanities, which includes Literature, History, Anthropology and the Arts
Applications for courses that are not within these areas (for example MBAs, medical sciences, sports sciences, applied sciences) will be rejected.
These scholarships are offered in memory of Tom Queba, who was a leader in the George taxi industry. His passion, commitment and vision for improved public transport, and for the future of the minibus taxi industry in George, have contributed greatly to the achievement of the GO GEORGE bus service. He was tragically killed in 2014, which prompted Pegasys to form the Tom Queba Memorial Fund and establish this scholarship in his memory.
Are you eligible?
- be a black African or coloured South African female national, normally residing in South Africa
- be in possession of a good first degree (minimum second class, upper division or equivalent) or about to graduate in the year of application
- be studying or applying to study at a Masters level at a South African university
Please apply only if you are eligible and meet ALL of the above criteria.
What we offer
In 2020, the value of the scholarship package is R85,000. Funding will be provided for up to a maximum of two years. We support both full and part-time study and will consider applications from those who wish to study by distance learning.
We also organise an annual conference for current scholars, and hold several smaller events throughout the year. Scholarship holders are expected to participate in these activities and to become part of and contribute to our network.
How to apply
This scholarship will reopen for applications in June 2020.