Africa Excellence Scholarship has been established to attract high-performing international students to the University of Newcastle for study in 2022 and beyond. This is a merit-based scholarship that recognises applicants with a strong academic background and incentivises them to continue striving to be the best that they can be.
Scholarships will automatically be awarded to students who have received an offer to study in an eligible, non-quota program and who will commence studying with the University of Newcastle.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Hold a passport from one of the 54 countries of Africa.
- Be commencing study in an eligible undergraduate or postgraduate coursework degree program at the University (excluding ELICOS, Enabling, Non-Award, Higher Degrees by Research programs and programs delivered at offshore campuses).
- Be an International full-fee paying student.
- Be commencing in an eligible program at an Australian or Online campus as indicated in your Letter of Offer.
- Not be the beneficiary of a separate University scholarship unless prior approval for special dispensation has been obtained from the university.
- Meet all of the financial obligations of a full-fee paying international student, including the full tuition fee and other expenses for the purpose of obtaining your student visa, and in the event that eligibility for the scholarship is not maintained.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- None Required.
The scholarship is valued at AU$10,000 for each year of study under full-time study load apportioned over each course taken, equating to a value of $1250 per course.
This will be administered for each term of study in your eligible program(s) as a tuition fee reduction against the amount of credits initially issued in your letter of offer, applied directly to your student account.
Please review the full terms and conditions for more detail.
No application is required for this scholarship.
Scholarships are automatically applied for upon application to the university (where eligibility criteria is met).
Successful students will receive notification of the value of their scholarship with their Letter of Offer and should review the full terms and conditions, advising the university if you do not wish to accept.
Scholarship offers will be made on the basis of academic merit. All academic merit determinations are determined according to the University’s procedures for determining ATAR and GPA.
Students who do not receive an offer of the scholarship will not be eligible for the scholarship. Internal transfer students who are studying at an Australian or Online campus and were not previously awarded the scholarship will also not be eligible. Students studying quota-limited programs will not be eligible for this scholarship (please view full terms and conditions for the list of quota-limited programs which will not be eligible).
The university reserves the right not to award the scholarship.