Studying abroad comes with a long list of requirements that needs to be fulfilled prior to admission. One of the most common and important requirement is language proficiency. This article discusses on various universities where you can study without IELTS or TOEFL or any other language proficiency tests, which are some standards for measuring a student’s ability to read, write & speak English. Attaining a desirable score in one of these tests can be difficult for non-native English speakers. It can also prove to be an added expense if you attempt it more than once to score higher or if you did not attain the minimum score requirement the first time you gave the test. Even though IELTS/TOEFL marks are major criteria for admission, there are many universities in different parts of the world that grant admissions and lets you study abroad without IELTS or TOEFL.
There are many universities in Australia that accept students without an IELTS/TOEFL score.
- The University of Queensland
- The University of Adelaide
- The University of New South Wales
- Macquarie University
- Bond University
- The University of South Australia
- The University of Southern Queensland
- Swinburne University of Technology
If you want to study abroad without IELTS or TOEFL, then Canada could be the right place for you! A number of universities in Canada do not require TOEFL/IELTS for admission. Essentially, if you have lived and attended school, for at least four years, where English was the primary language then you are not required to submit a proof of language proficiency. Following are some of the universities that accept students without an IELTS or TOEFL score.
- Brock University
- Carleton University
- University of Winnipeg
- University of Regina
- Memorial University
- Concordia University
UNITED KINGDOM (UK)
Some of the universities in UK that do not require an IELTS score are:
Countries like Nigeria, Ghana and South Africa enjoy attention from the above-listed universities and many other universities as well. However, different courses require different levels of language expertise.
You can study here without showcasing English proficiency tests proof.
University of Oslo: At the University of Oslo, only students from South Africa are exempted in the English language requirement. Other students from Africa and different parts of the world may be asked for TOEFL/IELTS scores.
Usually, you won’t need a TOEFL or IELTS if you hold a bachelor’s degree in English as the language of instruction or if your native language is English. Some universities just require a letter from the student’s previous educational institution to ascertain English Language Proficiency. However, some courses do not require English language proficiency while others do. The requirements for courses in English Philology, for instance, need you to qualify the English language test.
Following are some of the universities in the US which you can get into without IELTS or TOEFL scores.
- University of Colorado:If the following conditions are met then you need not submit the English language proficiency proof: a) The student’s native language is English b) the applying student has completed at least one year of full-time academic study at a U.S. institution. Although, countries like Botswana, Ghana, South Africa and Nigeria are not subjected to this arrangement.
- Drexel University: You need to complete two programs- University Preparation Summer Program (UPREP) and Bridge Program for international students if you don’t meet the language requirement. The following universities grant admission to international students provided that
They undertake the intensive English Language program (IELP). State university of New York.
Other universities where you can pursue your studies without bothering about IELTS/TOEFL score
University of Delaware