NGENGE-POSTGRAD SOLUTIONS IS HERE TO HELP YOU: NPGS has an Application Help Service with a team of highly experienced professionals to help you find a position or prepare a CV or Cover Letter. Our professional experts can also apply for you from A to Z.
Application Deadline: October 15, 2022
Strengthening African universities is one of the most effective ways to contribute to the continent’s growth and continued excellence. The U-M African Presidential Scholars (UMAPS) program has helped retain and strengthen faculty members working in African institutions of higher education, and empowered them to contribute to international academic networks and set their own research agendas.
The UMAPS Program brings early career faculty from African universities to Ann Arbor, Michigan. Scholars are paired with a faculty collaborator during their stay and have full access to the University of Michigan’s (U-M) resources to further their work on a research project, an academic degree, publications, grant proposal, or other relevant activity. The program supports the development of the next generation of African scholars by integrating them into international academic networks, and promotes U-M’s international commitment to research and teaching collaborations across diverse disciplines, from engineering to literature to economics.
*Previous recipients of the UMAPS fellowship are not eligible to apply. Preference will be given to applicants without extensive international experience outside the continent.
All applicants must:
- Be an early career faculty member who has taught in the higher education system for less than ten years, and who is presently teaching in a college or university in Africa
- Be employed in an ongoing position at a university or college in Africa
- Be able to demonstrate support from a home institution with a letter of recommendation from the head of department, dean, or vice chancellor.
- Be able to remain in residence for five months
Please note that applicants will not be able to fully submit their application until the endorsement from their home university has been received.
Review and selection will be made by a multidisciplinary faculty committee at the University of Michigan and will be based on the following:
- Academic quality of the candidate and of the proposed program of scholarship
- Academic fit of the candidate with others selected in the cycle and with the areas of interest described in the Scholarly Program section below – it is our hope to facilitate scholarly networks
- Equitable representations of scholars aligned with ASC’s three disciplinary initiatives
- Support of the candidate’s home institution
Priority will be given to candidates from disadvantaged backgrounds. Promotion of gender equity in the current class of scholars and in the African academy will also be prioritized. Preference will be given to candidates who do not have significant international experience outside the continent.
Those admitted to the UMAPS Program will receive:
- Five months of residency at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, paired with a faculty collaborator with full access to the university’s resources
- Round-trip airfare from their home country to Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Free housing (private room & bath in a suite setting), medical insurance, a research allowance, and a modest stipend to cover living (Important note: The UMAPS program is unable to accommodate spouses and/or dependents)
- Office/Laboratory space
- Opportunity to present research to the U-M community