- Eligibility & selection criteria
To be eligible for this scholarship, you need to:
Check which Smithsonian Institution Fellowship is appropriate to your academic level –
- Graduate Student Fellowships: When applying, students must be formally enrolled in a graduate program of study at a degree-granting institution. Before the appointment begins fellows must still be enrolled and must have completed at least one full-time semester or its equivalent, or have completed the graduate program within the past four months. Graduate Student Fellowships are usually intended for students who have not yet been advanced to candidacy if in a doctoral program.
- Predoctoral Fellowships: Students enrolled in a university as candidates for the Ph.D. or equivalent are eligible for predoctoral fellowships. By the time the appointment begins, the university must approve the undertaking of dissertation research at the Smithsonian Institution and certify that requirements for the doctorate, other than the dissertation, have been met.
- Postdoctoral Fellowships: The doctorate degree must be completed by the time the fellowship begins.
- Senior Fellowships: Applicants must have held a Ph.D. or equivalent for at least 7 years.
Applications are evaluated and fellows are selected by scholars in appropriate fields on the basis of the proposal’s merit, the applicant’s ability to carry out the proposed research and study, the likelihood that the research could be completed in the requested time, and the extent to which the Smithsonian, through its research staff members and resources, could contribute to the proposed research.
- Application process
- Graduate Student Fellowships, with a stipend of US$7,500 for up to 10 weeks.
- Predoctoral Fellowships, with a stipend of US$36,000 for up to 1 year, plus allowances.
- Senior & Postdoctoral Fellowships, with a stipend of US$50,400 per year for up to 2 years, plus allowances.
The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program offers opportunities for investigators to conduct independent research and to utilise the resources of the Institution with members of the Smithsonian professional research staff serving as advisors and hosts.
Fellows will be provided with space to conduct their research within the department in which they are working. Fellows have access to the Smithsonian Institution Libraries with privileges which include borrowing library materials, interlibrary loans, document delivery, database searching and reference assistance. Applicants should consult in advance with their proposed advisor(s) regarding the availability of facilities and necessary equipment.
Contact Us on WhatsApp Via +4791291467 for Assistance