In order to achieve SDGs, there is growing needs for developing human resources that will contribute to appropriate policy decision and its implementation for tackling development issues in respective fields. In light of this, JICA offers a new program to enhance the capacity of mid-career public officials, academic researchers and other relevant individuals, who are expected to contribute to the socio-economic development of respective countries. The program will provide participants with a special program on Japanese development experiences as well as a degree program (Master/PhD) in a Japanese university.
To foster young or mid-career personnel who contribute to tacking challenges in respective fields through political decision and implementation, and maintain long-term good relationship between Africa and Japan.
September, 2022 – August, 2025 (basically) – 6 months as a research student if necessary (See page 7) – In principle, 2 years for Master’s Program or 3 years for Ph.D. Program (It d (It depends on each program offered by universities) [NOTES] – Participants may not be able to arrive in Japan by September 2022, depending on the situation of the pandemic. In such case, the participants are requested to start the program through online basis from their respective countries or enrollment will be postponed until participants are allowed to come to Japan in case the university does not provide online lectures.
All 49 Sub-Saharan African countries.
Young or middle Government officials or academics who wish to contribute policy formulation or implementation for tackling political and developmental issues, mainly in the fields of public policy/administration and economics. (Applicants from the private sector are not eligible to apply.
Qualifications and Requirements
Applicants must satisfy the following requirements: (1) Nationality Citizens of one of the 49 Sub-Saharan African countries (2) Age Less than 40 years of age (as of April 1st, 2022) (3) Educational background – Bachelor’s degree for Master’s degree course (equivalent to at least 16 years of academic background) – Master’s degree for Doctor’s degree course (equivalent to at least 18 years of academic background) For more information, please check the website of the Universities. (4) Working experience/ status Applicants are required: – to have more than 6 months working experience at their current organizations, and – to obtain permission for application and securing reinstatement from their current organizations. (5) English language Proficiency – Adequate English skills both in written and oral communication to complete the Master’s or Doctor’s course such as; TOEFL iBT :80 / CEFR :B2 (estimated score) *The required level of English for admission may differ according to university (6) Others Applicants must: – be in good health condition to complete the program, – not receive or plan to receive a scholarship offered by other organizations, and – attend the activities on the weekends once or twice par year in unavoidable circumstances.
JICA’s Application Documents
(1) Application Form【1-(1)】consists of:
▪ Personal Information
▪ Declaration of desired university placement
▪ Education Background
▪ Present Organization and Nomination
▪ Work Experience
▪ Medical History
▪ Check List
▪ Details of Current and Previous Work (Annex 1)
▪ Career Plan after Graduation (Annex 2)
▪ Research Plan (Annex 3)
▪ Score of English examination (if you have)
(2) Undergraduate degree graduation certificate that is officially certified. * A copy of “Officially certified copies of the original” is acceptable * Written in English or accompanied with official translation
(3) Academic transcript * Must contain all the grades earned in the university. * A copy of “Officially certified copies of the original” is acceptable * Written in English or accompanied with official translation
(4) A copy of Valid Passport with photo (for checking nationality, name, sex, and date of birth). Valid National ID and birth certificate are acceptable if you do not have Passport. Certified English translation must be attached if ID is not written in English, French, Portuguese or Spanish)
(5) 2 ID Photos (4 cm×3 cm) pasted on application form (Original and copy).
(6) Health certificate to be submitted after the 4th Selection