NGENGE-POSTGRAD SOLUTIONS IS HERE TO HELP YOU: NPGS has an Application Help Service that can help you find a position or prepare a CV or Cover Letter. Our professional experts can also apply for you from A to Z.
Deadline: April 29, 2022.
The scholarship application form needed to apply for a KU Leuven Global Minds PhD Scholarship will be available soon. It has to be filled out by the KU Leuven promotor.
The priority for candidates is to obtain admission to the predoctoral or doctoral programme first.
Global Minds Doctoral Scholarships Programme, Belgium 2022-23 is available to undertake Postgraduate, PhD level programs at .
Following subject are available to study under this scholarship program.
- All Subjects
Eligible Students will be awarded:
- Full tuition fee waiver
- 100% of the net salary of an assistant (approx.. 2199 euro/month)
- Four return tickets in economy class.
- Belgian social security coverage
- Health, professional, and accident insurance
- Supervision allowance
1. The applicant must be a citizen of one of the countries included in this list.
2. Candidates who hold citizenship of the EU will not be selected. The same applies to applicants with a long-term EU residence permit.
3. The candidate’s latest Master’s degree must have been awarded no more than ten years prior to 1 October 2022 (including the ongoing calendar year).
4. The candidate must have been awarded an academic grade equivalent to High Distinction or higher. Degrees obtained with a final score equivalent to second class second/lower division will not be taken into consideration.
5. The research project must be of excellent academic quality, with a special focus on the development relevance of the proposal.
6. The research project must have a clear time frame indicating how the research periods at KU Leuven and at the home institution will alternate (a maximum period of 12 months at the home institution should alternate with a maximum period of 12 months at KU Leuven).
7. The candidate must be formally affiliated to a university in the home country. In case the candidate has no such affiliation yet, he/she is eligible to apply to this scholarship programme but will only be granted the scholarship once such an affiliation is obtained.
8. The applicant’s home university must demonstrate sufficient financial support for the doctoral project, guaranteeing that the candidate receives financial means, via a fully funded full time position including social security coverage similar to the staff members with the same level and qualifications within the home institution. The home institution must also guarantee, in writing, that the candidate can dedicate himself/herself sufficiently to conducting doctoral research during the periods spent at the home institution. As will be stipulated in the contract, at least 80% of the time spent at the home institution should be dedicated to conducting the doctoral research. Candidates who are not yet affiliated to a university in their home country should present a Letter of Intent from the home institution signaling that the candidate will be recruited and given the assignment to conduct the doctoral research at that institution. The scholarship will only be granted once the candidate is formally affiliated to a university in the home country and when, consequently, that university can demonstrate sufficient support.
9. Candidates who are already enrolled as PhD-students at KU Leuven and who are financed by KU Leuven are not eligible for this programme. They may be eligible for the PhD Scholarships for Researchers from the South though.
10. Candidates who have been employed before in an EEA country other than Belgium are not eligible for this scholarship. They may be eligible for the PhD Scholarships for Researchers from the South though.
11. The candidate must demonstrate a development-oriented motivation.
12. The candidate must be supported by a KU Leuven promoter.
13. The candidate must be supported by a local co-promoter at his/her home university.
14. The candidate must demonstrate excellent recommendations from at least two relevant referees.
15. The candidate must follow the 2-step application procedure. In order to be able to apply for a KU Leuven Global Minds Doctoral Scholarship, approval to enroll as a doctoral student at KU Leuven must be obtained first. We strongly recommend to start this procedure at least 2.5 months before the deadline (29 April 2022), (procedures started too late may not be evaluated in time by the doctoral committees or doctoral schools!).
16. The application deadline is 29 April 2022 at 05.00 PM GMT. Applications are submitted using a digital application form (available as soon as possible. In this form you will find further specifications (about the number of pages, language, attachments, and so on).
17. The candidate has read and agreed to the Regulations, Obligations and Conditions for Terminating the KU Leuven Global Minds Doctoral Scholarship. The candidate must also conform to the Internal Regulations for the Awarding of PhD Scholarships at KU Leuven (please consult your promotor on this).
18. Candidates are asked not to submit their application unless it fulfils the conditions listed above. Incomplete or late applications will not be taken into consideration. No exceptions will be made.